This session is offered to HR Managers, Band Administrators, Department Managers, and members of Council and will cover topics specific to First Nations employers.
Human Rights in the First Nations Workplace
- Overview of the human rights legislation that applies to First Nations workplaces.
- Discussion of the ‘duty to accommodate’ and how to deal with specific disabilities such as addiction.
Canada Labour Code Unjust Dismissal Claims: New Supreme Court of Canada Decision
- Overview of the unjust dismissal provisions under the Canada Labour Code.
- How the recent decision on the ability of federally regulated organizations to terminate employees without cause impacts your workplace.
Minimizing Liability Arising from Dismissals
- What are the different sources of liability that can arise from a dismissal, and what steps can you take to minimize your potential liability?
Social Media in the Workplace
- What are the various issues that can arise in the workplace as a result of the use of social media?
- What constitutes 'private' information?
- How to establish internal policies to effectively deal with the use of social media in your workplace.
Bullying and Harassment
- Overview of WorkSafe BC’s bullying and harassment legislation.
- How to effectively deal with bullying and harassment incidents that arise in your workplace.