This session is fully booked. Please contact Joanne Wong at firstname.lastname@example.org to be placed on the waitlist.
Privacy and access to information present increasingly challenging issues for public bodies. The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) is a complex piece of legislation which can be difficult to navigate.
During this introductory seminar, Harris Partner Suzanne Kennedy will review the fundamentals of FIPPA,including:
- Overview of the statutory regime including: key privacy and access principles, oversight and the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner (OIPC)
- Access to information challenges
- Responding to access request
- Exceptions to disclosure - Recent developments
- Dealing with the problem applicant
- Practical tips for managing complaints and requests for review
- Privacy compliance issues
- Record retention practices
- Employee monitoring (video surveillance, GPS, keystroke technology)
- Restrictions on cross-border storage and access of personal information
- Managing privacy breaches
- Privacy impact assessments
- Update on Canada's Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL) and best practices to avoid penalties
This introductory seminar is suitable for new HR professionals in the public sector, or those looking for a refresher on this area of law.
This seminar has been pre-approved for continuing professional development (CPD) hours by the Chartered Professionals in Human Resources of British Columbia and Yukon (CPHR).