BC PIPA, Private Sector Privacy And Access to Information
Managing privacy obligations and access to information requests continue to be an increasing challenge for private sector organizations. Recognition of privacy rights by courts and tribunals have raised the stakes in privacy compliance.
During this introductory seminar, Harris Partner Suzanne Kennedy will explain the fundamentals of the private sector privacy regime under the BC Personal Information Protection Act (BC PIPA) and discuss key issues including:
- Overview of the statutory regime
- Key privacy and access principles
- The collection, use and disclosure of personal information
- Employee monitoring (video surveillance, GPS, keystroke technology), background checks and access
- Privacy breach management
- Privacy policies
- Notifications and consents
- Record retention
- Privacy impact assessments
- Specific challenges in workplace privacy including cloud computing risks and recommended solutions
- Practical solutions and risk management
- Update on Canada's Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL) and best practices to avoid penalties
Please note this is a foundations seminar and is suitable for new professionals in the private sector, or those looking for a refresher on this topic area.
BOOKING TERMS AND CONDITIONS: PAYMENT IS REQUIRED TO CONFIRM YOUR REGISTRATION. A $50 CANCELLATION FEE PER PERSON WILL BE CHARGED IF YOU CANCEL YOUR REGISTRATION LESS THAN 5 BUSINESS DAYS BEFORE THE EVENT. A REFUND WILL NOT BE ISSUED IF YOU DO NOT ADVISE US OF YOUR CANCELLATION.
The Chartered Professionals in Human Resources of British Columbia and Yukon (CPHR) has pre-approved this seminar for Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours.