FIPPA, Public Sector Privacy And Access To Information
Privacy and access to information continue to provide challenging issues for public bodies, and the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) legislation adds a level of complexity which can be difficult to navigate.
During this introductory seminar, Harris Partner Suzanne Kennedy will explain the fundamentals of FIPPA and discuss key issues including:
- Overview of the statutory regime including: key privacy and access principles, oversight and the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner (OIPC)
- Access to information challenges
- Responding to access request
- Exceptions to disclosure - Recent developments
- Dealing with the problem applicant
- Practical tips for managing complaints and requests for review
- Privacy compliance issues
- Record retention practices
- Employee monitoring (video surveillance, GPS, keystroke technology)
- Restrictions on cross-border storage and access of personal information
- Managing privacy breaches
- Privacy impact assessments
- Update on Canada's Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL) and best practices to avoid penalties
Please note this is a foundations seminar and is suitable for new professionals in the public sector, or those looking for a refresher on this topic area.
BOOKING TERMS AND CONDITIONS: PAYMENT IS REQUIRED TO CONFIRM YOUR REGISTRATION. A $50 CANCELLATION FEE PER PERSON WILL BE CHARGED IF YOU CANCEL YOUR REGISTRATION LESS THAN 5 BUSINESS DAYS BEFORE THE EVENT. A REFUND WILL NOT BE ISSUED IF YOU DO NOT ADVISE US OF YOUR CANCELLATION.
The Chartered Professionals in Human Resources of British Columbia and Yukon (CPHR) has pre-approved this seminar for Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours.